Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a morning at starbucks

Yes, I am in fact spending my time studying at Starbucks. In my defence, there are two options in Upland, and neither of them are even in Upland: Payne's, and Starbucks. Payne's is too much a restaurant for my taste, so Starbucks it is.

This year has thus far been one of serious ups and downs, but also so many blessings. First, can I just say, I am already passionately in love with Higher Education? I knew when I came here that I was in some ways gambling, trusting that this was where God wanted me. I had no idea I would so quickly fall so deeply in love with this subject and this pursuit. This morning I am reading from one of my two history books, all about the development of Women's colleges, and Black colleges. It is so fascinating reading about the factors that influenced colleges two hundred years ago, and to think about how that affects colleges today. I love it. So much.

My assistantship has been another blessing in many ways. It has definitely been a challenge, as much of what I have done so far is more administrative. Don't get me wrong, I love organizing things, and putting programs together, but I also love people, and one of the main reasons I'm here doing this is for the chance to love people. I have had a hard time figuring exactly where I can jump in relationally, and where it's not really my place. But this week, as I have started attending different leadership meetings, I realized that I can jump in wherever and whenever I am called. So, this week is week one of Natalie the relational administrator!

In other news, it's officially fall in Indiana. Or at least, I think it is. The weather 'shifted' yesterday, and now we have clear, windy days with brisk air and it's so much like fall in Washington (we have also had some rain, which is a blessing). Fall is definitely my favorite time of year for so many reasons, and as crazy as it sounds, the weather lifts my spirits and brings me so much joy. It eases my homesickness and makes me more motivated to be here doing what I am doing.

I am getting ready to start working on my thesis. While I am incredibly excited to start, I am having trouble pinning down a topic I really want to research. For those of you in Higher Education, or who are working at/attending Universities, if you think of anything that you find compelling, or think I might find compelling, don't hesitate to send it my way (i.e. is there anything I'm passionate about that I can't remember right now?).

You guys are such a blessing, knowing that you are supporting me and loving me and reading this from afar and sending good thoughts and prayers my way.

Love,

nat

No comments:

Post a Comment